Top Ten Authors I Read For the First Time in 2015 - Top Tuesday

I apologize for dropping off the face of the "bloggersphere" again! This past weekend was our state library association’s annual conference and I presented my first LIS academic poster there: “‘Cos It’s More Than Just Play! Engaging Fandom in Public Libraries Through Cosplay.” It was an awesome experience, but because I was prepping for that, I didn’t get a chance to write any posts in advance. I haven’t done a Top Tuesday for a bit and this week’s theme from The Broke and The Bookish's blog was a neat way to look back at my list of books I’ve read this year (and a reminder that I need to update my goodreads account)!

A photo of The Artist Librarian's Top Tuesday: Authors I Read for the First Time in 2015
So, in order by date read ...

Brian Selznick: The Invention of Hugo Cabret

--Required reading for my Books & Media for Children class. This Caldecott award winner’s strength is Selznick’s combination of story and illustrations. The visuals in this book are gorgeous!  Can't wait to read his other hybrid novels ...

Lois Lowry: The Giver
--Another required reading for my Books & Media for Children class. I had seen the film adaptation earlier this year –I had enjoyed that version, though I know the book purists weren’t thrilled with the "aging up" of Jonas. Perhaps because I had seen the movie first, it was kind of weird to think of a younger Jonas going through everything that he did. I never picked up the book as a teen because the summary/storyline didn’t really seem like it’d be my cup of tea, but I did enjoy it and I can see why it’s taught in many elementary, middle, and high schools.  Random fact: Lois Lowry herself took the photo of the older gentleman used on the original book cover!

Neil Gaiman: The Graveyard Book

--Though I don't think I'd ever be able to read his acclaimed Sandman graphic novels, I've always meant to read his children's books.  I thought I'd get to Coraline first (because I've been meaning to see the animated film), but again, this was required reading.  It felt almost timeless at times, but there are references to cell phones and other things that place it in the modern world.  It really had a British vibe to it and a bit dark, but for the most part, still appropriate for the target age group.

Dina L. Sleiman: Dauntless & Chivalrous
--Totally fell in love with Dina's YA medieval historicals that are inspired by legendary figures such as Robin Hood or King Arthur and Camelot.  One author I'll definitely be keeping an eye on ... I'm hoping to try her earlier published work soon. My reviews of Dauntless and Chivalrous.

Susan May Warren: When I Fall in Love (#3), Take a Chance on Me (#1), It Had to Be You (#2)
--I first came upon When I Fall in Love, book 3 of the Christiansen family series, and was immediately drawn in by the story (I love cooking competitions and I grew up in Hawaii!) and taken by the characters.  I quickly borrowed the first two from the library and then fell behind on the series (which I'm going to remedy really soon).  I don't read a lot of contemporary fiction, but I'm totally won over by Warren's writing.

Becky Wade: Meant to Be Mine
--Another new-to-me Christian Contemporary Fiction author I read this year was Becky Wade.  A daring storyline with enough romantic tension that kept me flipping pages late into early morning hours to finish!  While readable as a stand-alone, I'm hoping to get to books #1 & #3 of the Porter series soon. =)

Jennifer A. Nielsen: The False Prince, The Runaway King, The Shadow Throne
--I initially selected The False Prince for an assignment in my Books & Media for Teens class this summer.  After my course was over, it was clear because of the ending that I'd have to continue reading the trilogy.  With short chapters and full of action, it's perfect for reluctant readers.  While it took me a bit to warm up to Sage (he was a bit too rogue for me personally), seeing his maturation and growth through his journey was rewarding.

J.L. Mbewe: Secrets Kept
--I remember stumbling onto Jennette's blog earlier this year and discovering a similar love of fandoms and fantasy.  While I don't usually review books from presses I'm not familiar with, I'm glad I did for Secrets Kept!  Her diverse characters and elaborate world building brought the novel to life and it's a welcome addition to the Christian fantasy genre.

Nadine Brandes: A Time to Die & A Time to Speak
--Along with Jennifer A. Nielsen, Nadine wins the award of "cliffhanger queen" this year ... =P  One of the things I love about being a book blogger/reviewer is having the opportunity to read books I might not normally give myself a chance to read.  I remember seeing A Time to Die around the book blogging world last year, but I hadn't heard of the publisher, so I ... kind of dismissed it.  Huge mistake that I'm glad I've rectified this year!  The Out of Time books are easily some of the the best Christian YA dystopians I've ever read. My review of A Time to Die & A Time to Speak.

Becky Cloonan & Brenden Fletcher: Gotham Academy, Vol. 1
--I was able to briefly meet these creators of Gotham Academy at #ALAac15 this summer, along with Karl Kerschl, who illustrates this new and gorgeously mysterious, slightly spooky, Nancy Drew-esque entry into DC Comics and Gotham lore.  While a lot of the "Bat-verse" and Gotham set stories starring Batman and co. are often a bit too dark for my taste, this series, aimed at middle grade, teen, and new comic book readers, is what would probably be rated "all ages appropriate" graphic novels. My review of Gotham Academy, Vol. 1.

Have you read any of these authors --what should I read next? What are some "new-to-you" authors you read this year you'd recommend? 

4 comments

  1. Fascinating! I enjoyed reading about the new-to-you author discoveries you made in 2015. Thanks very much for including me. I truly appreciate librarians! Warmly, Becky

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for stopping by! I just realized that I must have deleted part of my entry while jumping from author-to--author as I was editing. Fixed it now. =)

      I'm definitely looking forward to sharing the awesome authors I come across in reader's advisory once I'm a librarian! ^_^

      Delete
  2. Yea! Thank you for including me! I had thought to do my Countdown to Christmas sharing my top ten favorites this year, but alas, I've ran out of time and haven't read as much as I would have liked to. Hopefully next year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Broke and the Bookish blog that hosts this Top Ten Tuesday link up has "Top Ten Best Books of 2015" as it's theme next week --maybe you can join up then. They're really flexible with the number: it doesn't have to be 10. =)

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts! Comments are always welcomed and appreciated.

Popular Posts