The Artist Librarian Storytime: Summer Theme

As a children's librarian, storytime is often an essential part of our services.  In this new series, I'll be recording the storytime plans and themes I've done.  I decided to start from nearly the beginning, though I don't have quite as much notes, but hopefully I'll be able to catch up to my current position quickly!


Theme: Summer
Date: July 13, 2016
Attendance: (Not recorded in notes)

PLAN:

1. Opening Song (it was probably a variation of "Hands Go Up")
 

2. Book: Mouse's First Summer - Lauren Thompson (2004)

3. Book: Summer Days and Nights - Wong Herbert Yee (2012)



4. Felt Board: Summer Shapes
--This activity was inspired by Storytime Katie and Mel's Desk, though I used a different design for the popsicle (I may redo it later), it was easy enough to draw out the patterns freehand.

For the kite, I made the tail out of little hourglass/bow shapes and tied the crochet thread around the center of each bow to secure it, I glued the string to the back of the diamond and used a matching scrap of felt to cover up the knot.  

It's a very fun and simple shape and color identification activity!  If I remember correctly, I used a similar guided conversation/hints for some of the items as described in the original posts.  It went over well and I've used it several times since then.

5. Book: Summer Wonders - Bob Raczka (2009)

6. Closing Song 

7. Craft: Sun Hanger
--I was inspired by the colorful designs for a sun spinner here, but I simplified it for my preschool crowd by using a thin paper plate (I don't remember if it was a full size or snack/dessert sized plate, but either would work) and punched a hole at the top and used yarn as a hanger, so it was like a big ornament or door hanger. 

How It Went:
--I couldn't find any notes for this storytime.
What are some of your favorite books, songs, or activities for summer themed storytimes?

0 comments

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts! Comments are always welcomed and appreciated.

Popular Posts