Failing as a Book Blogger - Life Update & Stuff

It's been awhile guys --if anyone still reads my blog, that is?  I'm pleasantly surprised my page views are still pushing 1,000 per month. But yes, I'm way overdue for an update ... The first of which I'm really embarrassed about and I want to duck my head like Twilight Sparkle below:


Anyway, you probably noticed my blogging frequency totally drop these last few years and I'm about to tell you why ...

After graduating from library school, the only full time librarian positions I could find were temporary, substitute positions. I basically was a substitute librarian for about a year which was both exhilarating (both confirming my love of children's and teen librarianship and that this was what I felt God was showing me I was meant to do) and nerve-wracking (the uncertainty of temporary positions, having no work benefits and paying for my own insurance and things like that).  I learned A LOT and then I was interviewed for and hired for a permanent position as a Circulation Assistant in my local public library system.  I took it, seeing it as "my foot in the door" since my librarian applications seemed to go nowhere (it appears that I didn't have enough experience as a librarian to be interviewed).

But while I know it's a blessing to have a permanent full time job and also have learned a lot in my current position, I've really struggled with my desire to be a librarian ... It's been hard to watch other librarians and reference staff do their job and wish that I was there instead.  I've also been on a handful of librarian interviews during the past year and not been selected each time ... Perhaps internally, I was a bit arrogant in assuming that I'd be able to find a permanent librarian position easily within a year of graduation.  I used to think, "If I could just get interviewed, just give me a chance, and I'll get in." But I haven't been the right fit for all these libraries, I guess ... or maybe I'm not good at interviews?  These experiences have been very humbling and also make me doubt myself at times, though I'm really trying to look at these "rejections" through a positive lens.

But collectively, these experiences kind of tempered my passion for book reviewing, so much so, that when I lost my scheduler app that had all of my pending review book dates, I didn't bother trying to recreate it, especially for titles that had loose or no fixed deadline.  Instead, I focused more on Bookstagramming, because Instagram was becoming more enjoyable for me.



However, I came across a box of these "received for review" books recently ... Even if I've ordered or promoted these titles in person, I still have a backlog of reviews I should write about and submit online.  I apologize deeply to the authors and publishers who have been waiting for so long.

So my plan is to post at least 4 times a month, ideally 1-2 times a week, half of that being reviews and the other half fun stuff like lists, pics, cosplay progress/tutorials (like I've wanted to forever), maybe some posts about my new hobbies (i.e. collecting K-Pop albums and music since last year and Bullet Journaling this year) ... I also would like to update my blog with a new look or layout, BUT my priority will be posting new content first.

Thanks for reading!  Please update me with what you've been up to (IRL or on your blog) in the comments if you'd like --Also, I really need to update my blogroll since a lot of bloggers I used to follow don't seem to post much now ... Let me know if you have any suggestions!


0 comments

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts! Comments are always welcomed and appreciated.

Popular Posts