Last Ten Books That Came Into My Possession - Top Ten Tuesday

I haven't done a Top Ten from the Broke and The Bookish's blog for awhile, so I thought I'd pop in with this. This week the theme is "Last Ten Books That Came Into My Possession" (e.g. bought, library, review copies, etc.). So in alphabetical order ...

A Worthy Pursuit by Karen Witemeyer - "A teacher on the run.  A bounty hunter in pursuit.  Can two enemies learn to trust each other before they both lose what they hold most dear?"
I've read almost all of Karen's books: Christian/Inspirational historical romance usually set in the American West filled with wit and humor.  Just started this one, so keep an eye out for my review!






Clockwork Angel (The Infernal Devices #1) by Cassandra Clare - "Magic is dangerous - but love is more dangerous still."
I've heard of Cassandra Clare's books for years, so when I got an assignment for class that has us pick an ALA YALSA Teens' Top Ten book from 2010-2014, this steampunk title caught my eye.  It was the #1 pick for the Teens' Top Ten of 2011.  Though ... is it alright to start on this prequel to The Mortal Instruments series or would it be better to go with City of Bone first?





Cosplay World by Brian Ashcraft & Luke Plunkett - "Filled with striking images of costume play from around the world, this definitive look at the global phenomenon known as 'cosplay' examines its evolution from the fringes of society to the spotlight of modern culture." Earlier this summer, I looked at my local library system's catalog and discovered several titles on costuming and cosplay that I hadn't read.  I placed a hold request and it finally arrived!



Ender's Game (The Ender Quintet #1) by Orson Scott Card - "An outstanding tale of the child-hero Ender Wiggin, who must fight a desperate battle against a deadly alien race if mankind is to survive."
Another class assignment in which I have to choose a Margaret A. Edwards author and read two of his or her books. Currently debating between Card and Susan Cooper (The Dark is Rising sequence).  Any thoughts?







Fairest by Marissa Meyer - "In this stunning bridge book between Cress and Winter in the bestselling Lunar Chronicles, Queen Levana’s story is finally told."The longest line I waited in at the ALA Annual Conference's exhibit floor was for the Marissa Meyer book signing!  So worth it though --I had her sign my copy of Cinder and picked up Fairest.  I'm hoping to read this one before Winter comes out this fall.


High Style: Masterworks from the Brooklyn Museum Costume Collection at The Metropolitan 

Museum of Art by Jan Reeder - "Published for the first time in paperback, this lavishly illustrated volume originally appeared in 2010 to celebrate the transfer of the Brooklyn Museum’s historic costume collection to The Metropolitan Museum of Art."
I was fortunate to see a portion of this costume collection this summer and purchased this book from the museum gift store (though I could have saved $10 if I ordered it through amazon.com, oops).  I can't wait to really peruse through this volume.



In Good Company (A Class of Their Own #2) by Jen Turano - "After growing up as an orphan, Millie Longfellow is determined to become the best nanny the East Coast has ever seen. Unfortunately, her playfulness and enthusiasm aren't always well received and she finds herself dismissed from yet another position ... "
I've heard great things about Jen Turano in the Christian/Inspirational book "bloggosphere" but never got around to her books.  I'm expecting something lighthearted and romantic.  If you've read her books, how would you describe them?




Legend by (Legend #1) Marie Lu - "In a nation at war, June and Day are fighting for revenge, honor, freedom --and each other."
Ranked #3 on the YALSA Teens' Top Ten of 2012, another possibility for my Teen Top Ten assignment.  It's a dystopian series I first came across while shelving books at the library.  Besides being highly rated by several friends on goodreads, I also am intrigued that it was written by a young, twenty-something, Asian, video game artist ...


Once Upon a Knit: 28 Grimm and Glamorous Fairy-Tale Projects by Genevieve Miller - "Iconic fairy-tale characters from storybooks, movies, and television inspire this collection of magical knitting patterns perfect for modern knights, villains, and princesses."
I like to look through arts and crafts books before purchasing if at all possible, so I requested this one from the library.  Though even if my library system didn't have it, I'd be sorely tempted to buy it from the title, cover, and description alone!  Do you do any needlecrafts?  Let's talk!



The False Prince (The Ascendance Trilogy #1) by Jennifer A. Nielson - "The False Prince is the thrilling first book in a brand-new trilogy filled with danger and deceit and hidden identities that will have readers rushing breathlessly to the end."
Voted #2 of the YALSA Teens' Top Ten of 2013, this medieval fantasy is the final possibility for my Teens' Top Ten assignment.  The Clockwork Angel, Legend, or The False Prince --which would you choose?


What have you recently added to your bookshelf?  If you've participated in today's Top Ten, I'd love to see your list!




2 comments

  1. I've heard Marie Lu's novels are amazing! Not sure why I've not given one of her books a shot, but perhaps I should. :)

    Thanks for all the recent blog comments. Glad you visited.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here --I ended up reading "The False Prince" for my assignment, but I'm hoping to get to "Legend" next month. Maybe your library system has a copy?

      Your blog is awesome, I love stopping by and reading book and media reviews. :)

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts! Comments are always welcomed and appreciated.

Popular Posts