Curio - Waiting on Wednesday

Blink YA is publishing a steampunk novel. I am so there. Read more for why I'm "WoW" about this debut YA release!

"Waiting on Wednesday" is a weekly meme hosted by Breaking the Spine, where you feature a yet-to-be-released title you're anticipating!

Title: Curio
Author: Evangeline Denmark
Release Date: January 5, by Blink

About the Book:

Grey Haward has always detested the Chemists, the magicians-come-scientists who rule her small western town. But she has always followed the rules, taking the potion the Chemists ration out that helps the town’s people survive. A potion that Grey suspects she—like her grandfather and father—may not actually need.

By working at her grandfather’s repair shop, sorting the small gears and dusting the curio cabinet inside, Grey has tried to stay unnoticed—or as unnoticed as a tall, strong girl can in a town of diminutive, underdeveloped citizens. Then her best friend, Whit, is caught by the Chemists’ enforcers after trying to protect Grey one night, and after seeing the extent of his punishment, suddenly taking risks seems the only decision she can make.

But with the risk comes the reality that the Chemists know her family’s secret, and the Chemists soon decide to use her for their own purposes. Panicked, Grey retreats to the only safe place she knows—her grandfather’s shop. There, however, a larger secret confronts her when her touch unlocks the old curio cabinet in the corner and reveals a world where porcelain and clockwork people are real. There, she could find the key that may save Whit’s life and also end the Chemists’ dark rule forever.

Why I'm "WoW" about Curio:

As a costumer/cosplayer, I've been an admirer of the Steampunk style, costumes, and fashion for several years now.  Though I've yet to actually create a Steampunk costume yet, it's definitely on my "to do" list.  I've seen a rise in Steampunk-themed novels in the general market, but while Blink YA doesn't explicitly market themselves as publishing Christian YA, they are part of HarperCollins Christian Publishing so ... I still say that this is one of the first Christian YA Steampunk novels I've seen, which makes me super excited! (Multi-published author Shelley Adina indie published a Steampunk series a couple of years ago.)  I've actually never read a Steampunk novel yet, but I do love the sound of the genre's alternate universe/timeline, historical/fantasy combination.  Plus the clothes.  And isn't the book cover gorgeous???

I'm still a bit put out that the Blink YA list that I was put on because of ALA required you to put down information about your library (I was tempted to put down my school and see if they'd send me a copy anyway, but it seems those print copies were meant for librarians/educators and not for MLISc/librarian students, LOL). But did I mention that Denmark is Donita K. Paul's (the queen of sweet Christian fantasy's) daughter?  Considering how much I liked another daughter-of-a-famous-author's YA debut this year, I definitely can't wait to get my hands on this one!

Also, for a limited time, the e-book novella prequel, Mark of Blood and Alchemy, is available for free!

Are you familiar with Steampunk?  If so, what draws you to the style/genre?  Have you read any Steampunk novels?  What would you recommend? Also, if you've participated in "WoW" feel free to share!
Curio - Waiting on Wednesday Curio - Waiting on Wednesday Reviewed by The Artist Librarian on 12/30/2015 12:11:00 AM Rating: 5

11 comments:

  1. Steampunk is such a great genre, if it's done right. I'm adding this to my TBR. Thanks for sharing!
    My WoW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, in my experience, it seems people either love or hate Steampunk fiction. =) Thanks for commenting, Lekeisha!

      Delete
  2. I'm actually quite wary about steampunk - it can be done very well, but they have a habit of boring me :( This does look brilliant though and I love the cover :)

    My WoW Pick this week
    Also, check out a chance to win a book of your choice here - you can pick a 2016 preorder or any backlist title!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the novelty of the concept will be enough for me right now, but I can see how it could get old or formulaic. The costumer in me loves Steampunk book covers ... they're so pretty! The red and green tones really compliment each other.

      I just entered your drawing --thanks so much for sharing!

      Delete
  3. I've been meaning to get started with the Steampunk genre for some time now, but haven't as yet. I do have a couple of books in that genre. And I like that this one is Christian, too! Definitely a must have for me! I'm adding it to my Goodreads shelves, and my Amazon wish list, right away! Oh, and I agree that the cover is gorgeous!

    Thanks for featuring this novel! Happy New Year!! : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, awesome! Glad I could introduce it to you --I love that Christian publishing is branching out into so many different genres and the writing quality has improved over the past 20 years ... IMHO, it's an exciting time for Christian fiction fans.

      Going to check out your WoW link now and hope you have a wonderful New Year's as well! =)

      Delete
  4. P.S. Here's my WOW link:

    http://anightsdreamofbooks.blogspot.com/2015/12/waiting-on-wednesday-153-tyranny-of.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. I need this book in my life. It sounds so amazing! I have the prequel, which I need to read very soon. Only a few more days until Curio is released! At least the wait isn't long.

    My WoW: http://onceuntold.blogspot.com/2015/12/waiting-on-wednesday-thief-of-lies-by.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true --I first heard about this book in November, so I haven't been waiting too long. I'm hoping I can get to the prequel before school starts... Thanks for sharing!

      Delete
  6. Just started this one this morning and I'm pretty sure I'm going to love this one. The world of steampunk is pretty unknown to me, but it seems like a fun adventure. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice! I'll be keeping an eye out for your review, Rissi! =)

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts! Comments are always welcomed and appreciated. In respect for others, please keep your comments PG/"family friendly" =)

Popular Posts

Unless otherwise noted, all material and images © The Artist Librarian, 2014 - 2015. Powered by Blogger.